Wednesday, January 26, 2011

On Jamaica

Pretty image via
I realized after I posted yesterday that I haven't shared anything else about my trip to Jamaica with you dudes. If you get the chance, you should go there. Here are a few reasons why:
  • They give you rum. Lots and lots of rum.
  • You can win even more rum. It's given out as a prize.
  • I may be misremembering, but I think the winner of the kid's volleyball tournament got rum.
  • The entertainment provided by the resort was terrifically bad. 
    • The first night we went to the show (the second night there) was the all-Jamaican cast's rendition of scenes from Grease. The guy playing Danny Zuko had a very limited command of a) his lines and b) English.
    • They had a Lavar Burton look-alike MCing everything.
    • They had a dance contest one night. An eight-year-old girl performed a dance called the dirty wine. Lavar told her, "You need Jesus."
  • If it rained, we went inside and watched part of National Treasure, which was always on tv.
  • I won some rum. And they gave us two bottles of rum in our room, with a coconut with the top lopped off, for being newlyweds.
  • The food was pretty good for being buffet-style. Andy particularly liked that there was a jerk chicken hut on the beach. I particularly liked that there was a bar on the beach.
  • We didn't know the names of any of the staff, so we nicknamed them. We were particularly fond of Sideburns, Bossy, and Crazy Thumbs Murphy.
  •  There was enough to do at or through the resort that we didn't feel weird about not leaving much. We went parasailing and snorkeling and on a sunset cruise thing, which involved a pirate hideout which is now a bar.
In the interest of full disclosure, I can tell you that the good people of RIU resorts do not know who I am, and that we paid them a lot of money to hang out there and drink their rum. I'll also add that Andy has an aunt who's a travel agent, so we could afford a decent trip.

Have you ever been to Jamaica? Was it awesome? If not, where else have you been that you think I'd like?

2 comments:

  1. Jamaica sounds great, but do they have any rum there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. True story: I read that when I was half asleep, and I thought, "I'm pretty sure I mentioned the rum. Didn't I? I think I did."

    Then I realized you were kidding, and laughed out loud at myself. I'm not at my best in the morning.

    And yes, there was rum.

    ReplyDelete