Wednesday, January 19, 2011

On sending food back

Our food didn't look this good
So I'm curious about how other people handle this shit. Andy and I went out to dinner with some friends of ours tonight, and we ended up sending back our whole platter of sushi. This makes the third time in my life I've sent back food, and I feel conflicted about it.

The reason we sent it back was that two of our three rolls had hair on them. With my hamachi maki, the hair was just on the top, which is gross but not the end of the world - it could have happened on the way to our table or whatever. But Andy's BBT roll had one under the barbecue sauce, caught just in time by the friend we were dining with. So back the whole thing went. And when it came back, they had apparently remade the eel roll with recently-cooked eel, because it was warm. Turns out warm sushi is not awesome. But we didn't send it back a second time, because we didn't want to be jerks.

The first time I sent something back was when I ordered tiramisu (which is pretty much my fave) and got what was clearly the end of a pan, scraped into a heap and covered with some more cocoa powder. Awful. The second was about a year ago, right after I started eating beef again after a ten-year break, and I ordered a filet medium-well and it came out pretty close to rare. The idea of eating something that was still bleeding was not sitting well with me, so I had them toss it back on the grill for a while.

Now, I know there are plenty of people who send stuff back all the time. These people say things like, "You're paying for the service! You're paying them to make things the way you like (and without hair)!" And there are people who seriously wouldn't think twice about keeping something that wasn't perfect - of course it gets sent back! But for some reason I always feel like I'm being really inconsiderate whenever I have something sent back. Or even sometimes if I have to bug the waiter for something like another glass of water. Like they don't have enough to worry about, and making shitty wages to boot, and I can't shut up about the glass of water, or something.

What say you, blog world? Do you send food back? Do you feel guilty when you do it? I can't be the only one out there who's weird about this stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment