Monday, December 20, 2010

The common cold and its effect on my brain

Something like one of these has made its home in my face.

Andy and I have both managed to catch a cold. The two main symptoms of this strain are an inability to do anything useful with one's brain and a constant tickle or scratch in the throat.

To demonstrate the first symptom, here are some examples from today:
  • Andy sent me a text that read "I feel a fever coming on" followed by a smiley face. The cold has somehow led him to believe that emoticons are okay (THEY ARE NOT) and also to mistype the most common one. [I wrote back "Cowbell? Or are you feeling worse?"]
  • I put my boots on the wrong feet. I am not four years old, so this is not endearing so much as asinine.
  • I haven't yet wrapped a single present. I got home from work, took presents out, looked at them for a long minute, and then put them away again, even though I have the house to myself for a while and not much time for wrapping.
  • Went against my self-imposed "don't volunteer opinions at meetings at work" rule to argue, passionately but with almost no voice, about the importance of a particular comma.
  • I have misspelled at least 45% of the words in this post.
  • I have hit capslock instead of shift like six times in the last four minutes.
My mom sent over some chicken soup, so I want to lay on the couch and catch up on 30 Rock and have soup. The other option for plans includes going out for garbage plates with the Kid and Brian and then to a bar for drinks to celebrate the birthday of a friend of Andy's who died this summer. I'm trying to talk myself into doing that.

4 comments:

  1. The 30 Rock helped, as did going to bed at 9:30. The soup, however, turned out to be frozen solid. And in my weakened state, my brain convinced me that a pumpernickel-everything bagel with cream cheese was an acceptable substitute. My brain is a liar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also am a strict adherent to the "don't volunteer opinions at work meetings" rule, but if it's in the name of commas, I too believe in making an exception.

    Feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm feeling much better, and I'm so glad I'm not the only one who feels justified defending proper punctuation. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete