Thursday, November 18, 2010

A list for Thursday

I've been knitting like a maniac on a sweater for my husband, because I've decided that if I can finish the sweater by Thanksgiving, I can knit the pair of socks he's requested by Christmas. Never mind that I have a week to do most of both sleeves, all the blocking, and all the seaming, or that I've never knit a sock before, or that he has size 13 feet. If I believe, anything can happen, right??

So here's a list of books that I currently have checked out of the library, which will be languishing in neglect for at least another week:
1. My Booky Wook by Russell Brand. Borrowed entirely on the strength of an interview with brand that was surprisingly funny, and which mentioned that he's in two projects with Helen Mirren. Turns out Brand is funny and intelligent. Whether he is a good writer remains to be seen.
2. Classy by Derek Blasberg. I'm a huge fan of etiquette (my bridesmaids wore tea-length dresses because the wedding was before noon) and etiquette books, and this looked like it might be an amusing rehashing or reimagining of etiquette for modern-day issues. From the little I've read, it's also an excuse for the author to name-drop all the famous people he's ever met, ever, in his famous-person-filled life.
3. Knitting 24/7 by Veronik Avery, who is one of my favorite knitwear designers. I have flipped through this book, picked out about a dozen patterns I'd love to start, and added it to my Christmas list. There's no way I'll just be able to check this out whenever I want to: I was ninth in the holds list when I first tried to get it.
4. Handmade Home by Amanda Blake Soule. I didn't realize this was all sewing patterns, and some of the projects are far too granola-earth-mother-nonsense for me (there are patterns for both cloth diapers and a "women's cloth," which is a reusable, washable pad. Not my style), but the styling and photography are lovely.
5. Greetings from Knit Cafe by Suzan Mischer. Another one added to the Christmas list! I like that it includes little side-note things, like recipes and tips on proper technique, mixed in with the patterns. I must add, though, that I am certain that the world didn't need yet another pattern for a knitted bikini.

What are you reading?

No comments:

Post a Comment