Wednesday, March 2, 2011

On March

Can we all agree that March is kind of a crappy month, at least in the Northeast?

March can't decide if it's winter or spring, so it gives us the worst of both. Today the windchill here is 15°. In the next two weeks the temperature will vacillate between just-above and just-below freezing, with plenty of precipitation. That means lots of ice. And slush. And drizzly, sleety rain.

Ugh.

Instead of thinking of that, let's use March to start getting ready for spring to arrive in earnest! It's too cold to do much gardening beyond the planning stages up here until mid-April at the very earliest, but the planning is the only part I'm good at, really. I am sort of absent-minded, so watering is not something that I do regularly. But I can plot out a bad-ass, bountiful container garden!

We aren't planning any tropical vacations any time soon, but that doesn't mean it's not a great idea to be on the lookout for some great new springtime wardrobe additions. Jill's spring break packing list is a great place to start! (How perfect is that teal bathing suit?)

And to help get us all into the springtime spirit, how about a little springtime spirits? (WORST PUN EVER. SORRY.) I don't drink vodka (overindulged a little too heartily in my younger days) but if we replaced the vanilla vodka in this with a dark rum, it would be my new favorite, I think.

How do you deal with the March doldrums? Do you kill every plant you come into contact with, like I do?

No comments:

Post a Comment