Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Reading!

Here's what's stacked up on end tables around my house:

1. The Evolution of Bruno Littlemore by Benjamin Hale. I'm on page 30 (out of 576), and so far it's damn good. Sounds a little crazy - it's narrated by a chimpanzee - but it's very absorbing. I stayed up way later than I should have to get to page 30, by the way. I'm a little scared of reading it in bed, because it's heavy, and I'm a little scared I'll doze off and end up with a broken nose or a sprained wrist.

2. No More Dirty Looks by Siobhan O'Connor and Alexandra Spunt. I've been digging this blog lately, and I've told you guys I'm becoming more and more of a hippy every day somehow. This book (and the blog) is about "clean" makeup and skincare stuff, and it has twenty-five pages of references and notes, so I feel like it's not all weird scare tactics and fake "facts". Plus they're funny.

3. The Education of a British-Protected Child by Chinua Achebe. I haven't started this yet, but it's a collection of autobiographical essays by a brilliant writer. I found it during my last trip to Borders and was so freaking psyched to find a decent book among the piles of dreck that I almost bragged about it to the person standing near me looking at coffee table books about Elvis.

4. A Deadly Yarn by Maggie Sefton. There's a counter in the kitchen at work that is called "the free table." Basically, anyone can leave anything there and if your coworkers want it they're welcome to take it. Some of the weirder shit stays there for a week or so, at which point I assume it's tossed or donated, but some stuff - like unlabeled Easter candy - is snatched up right away. I found this book on the free table today, and you better believe I grabbed it. It's a knitting murder mystery. AND it includes a free recipe! AND it's in large print! I have the inaugural meeting of Pints and Purls (it's a knitting club that involves beer! it's at a pub!) tonight, and I'm hoping to do some dramatic readings from this bad boy.

What are you reading? Have you ever read a themed murder mystery? This is going to be so awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment