Saturday, August 20, 2011

Food, Inc.

So I know I'm tardy to the party and that 90% of the free world has already seen Food, Inc., but if you haven't, get on that, soon.

It's a documentary by the guy who wrote Fast Food Nation, and it's pretty eye-opening in the same way. We all know that the food industry in this country is fucked six ways till Sunday, but seeing this shit laid out in black and white is pretty crazy. For example, 80% of the beef in this county is raised by companies owned by the four major food distributors.

I'm fortunate enough to be able to afford our CSA, which has kept us supplied with fruits and veggies and will continue to do so through October. I've got plans with a friend who owns a pressure canner to tackle a bushel of tomatoes, so we don't have to keep buying canned ones (which, incidentally, are stored in cans that are lined with a substance that leaches BPA into the tomatoes). I can afford local meat on occasion, as long as we don't eat it constantly, which we shouldn't anyway. But the poorest people in this country are the ones who can only afford the crappiest foods. Eating right is freaking expensive, and your money will get you a lot more calories per dollar if you buy shitty food.

Shit needs to change, y'all. The government needs to stop subsidizing the shit that is making people fat and unhealthy and start subsidizing the things we should be eating. How can we make this happen?

3 comments:

  1. I haven't seen Food Inc yet, but I want to. I get most of my veggies from my local Green BEAN delivery, and they also let me get meat from LOCAL butchers. It's really amazing, and I'm thankful to have something like that available. I know not everyone does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a really good question. I like that you are actually looking for a solution. I will think about that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That movie along with the book Skinny Bitch changed my life in such a positive way! I've been a vegetarian for over three years now because of them & still so happy i made the diet change :).

    xx. renee
    justwondrful.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete