Wednesday, June 6, 2012

CSA bounty!

Yesterday was our first CSA pickup of the season. We got two heads of green-leaf lettuce, three big stalks of rhubarb, a pound of sugar snap peas (Andy's favorite), and a few quarts of apples. We made a huge salad for dinner with one of the heads of lettuce (and added a beefsteak tomato, cucumber, feta cheese, and shrimp grilled with pineapple, which was fucking awesome). We've been snacking on the peas all day. I'm planning to make a rhubarb simple syrup, which I will absolutely be using in a Rhubarb Tom Collins.

I don't know what to do with the apples, because we still have most of the eight quarts we picked up a few weeks ago, and I basically only like apples in pies or fritters. I realized years ago that I don't really like eating plain apples, and our CSA provides us with ONE MILLION APPLES. Last season I made applesauce like crazy and a whole lot of apple butter and we still had so many apples around all the time - it's basically impossible to run out of them. I'll make some pies for family parties in the next few weeks, and I think I'll whip up these apple fritter muffins for quick breakfasts for a few days.

The awesome and also really frustrating thing about a CSA membership is that each week is a surprise, so meal planning is a little on-the-fly for me. We also don't know what we'll be getting ahead of time, so, like, strawberries are in season around here but I don't know if this particular farm has enough to fill CSA orders yet, so I don't know if I should buy some elsewhere or not.

Do you have a CSA membership? What the hell should I do with all these apples?

3 comments:

  1. I don't have a CSA membership, but I think about getting one. The problem is that I'm forgetful.

    Do you have a juicer? Do you like juice? I have a juicer, and if I had a ton of apples, I'd make juice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish we had a juicer! I'm thinking about trying some smoothies. Apples are good for sweetening stuff like smoothies, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love making beet and apple smoothies! Mmmm they g so well together, for real for real.

    ReplyDelete