Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Two things that amuse only me

1. I'm a huge fan of the musical Les Miserables. It has France! And the oppressed! And orphans and foster care! And drunks! What's not to love? Andy and I saw it on stage last week (it was our Christmas present to each other) and I've had various songs from it stuck in my head since then. Every time I've been on Facebook in the last few days, I've had the urge to post snippets from the play as comments on people's statuses. Oh, really, you're heading out on vacation in the morning? "I did not live until today/ how can I live when we are parted?" Went for a four-mile run, you badass? "There is power in me yet/ my race is not yet run!" Having a shitty day (as long as you don't use "fml")? "Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise."

This would basically amount to trolling, as almost no one I'm friends with (besides my kid sister) knows the play, so it would almost certainly be nonsense to everyone else. This is even funnier when I'm thinking about doing it to people I haven't seen since high school or something.

2. I love the idea of starting a collection for someone. Every Christmas, Andy has to tell me it's really not a funny idea, but we just are going to have to disagree there. Any time I pass, like, a huge display of snowglobes on sale, I get this impulse to buy all of them and give them to my brother for Christmas and his birthday every year until I run out. Act totally genuine, like "I saw this and thought of you! Hope you like it!" I also think of this with sports teams: my mom is not and never has been a sports fan. Here you go, mom, season passes for Shitty Local Minor League Baseball Team!

I like to live my life like it's performance art, I guess.

What things make you giggle?

2 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure my grandma tried to start a basketball-theme for me in middle school... I hate sports. But I love the idea of doing this to someone else!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny, I love imagining that your grandma was doing it on purpose. I think it's time to pay her back: the entire works of Will Ferrel, every Christmas and birthday, forever. Grandmas dint get Well Ferrel, right?

    ReplyDelete